Contact & Handouts

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

SELFPORTRAIT AND CHARCOALS

My first oil self-portrait 
This is a 3 week assignment,think if I do one each week my 3rd one will end up looking much better than this one. My classmate made some suggetions to the forehead highlight and the high light on my chin, which one is not enough and the ladder is too bright.



These are 10 and 15 minutes sketch on Friday night. Too bad only 2 people showed up but we had a great time drawing eachother :D

lady Bird


lady Della

3 comments:

  1. Echo,
    Wow, nice work! I think you have a good handle on the problems with the oil SP - but you maybe missed the good things: interesting composition and cropping, good structure (anatomy), and nice abstraction of detail. I know you don't like digital art much - but you could try taking the image into Photoshop and trying some variations - to learn what you could have done differently in a quick and easy way? Just try converting it to a gray scale image - that alone would help with the value issues you raise. I'm sure you have heard about tonal studies masters have as under paintings?

    I love the quick sketches - loose but with detail in just the right places.

    To quote the soke of Bujinkan Dojo (my martial art) Massaki Hatsumi, "Keep Going!"

    Best,
    JG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice work again, I like your selfportrait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, you are able to get things down so quickly and so nicely. I envy you that. Yeah, so the forehead is a little large, but you have put down some really nice planes of color and the light is great. Love the sketches and the anatomy drawings down below--wonder how you got so good at knowing where those bones are located? ;)

    ReplyDelete