Contact & Handouts

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Something never to be forgoten


Do you sometime see things that you never forget? Do you often wonder about it?
I traveled to Tibet one summer, it was a place where you will meet the other side of life as well as the basis of belief . We traveled as high as 18,000ft up, along the rivers. I could never forget the color of those turquoise rivers, glistening in the sun, running quietly and consistently . The rivers run hundreds of miles in Tibet, nourishing the people and provides source of life. I had somehow decided to run off the road to check out where the river bank and water connects (I'm always curious about how things connect), then I saw something I never quite understood, as I was approaching the water--



Right in front of me appeared to be a few human remains consisted of a adult skull and a femur bone, loosely buried in the soil . I was puzzled, because the Sky Burial (Traditional Tibetan Burial) was never to be conducted outside of the "sacred area", usually blessed by Tibetan monks. I had a strange urge, to pick up a piece of the remain and bring it back with me (which I did not do, alas!) So the conclusion? Maybe Some tourist who just won't stop asking questions... Till this day I still wonder who it was and why it was, perhaps it was calling me...?

3 comments:

  1. Really nice post Suni. It's great that your were able to travel to Tibet. As to your encounter with the bones ..wow that's a great question you ask...hard one to answer but maybe it was in a way calling to you. I mean who knows? What were the odds you running into this. Maybe it was meant to be. But yeah something like that would stick with me too since I would wonder as well in who this person was and why was he/she here..etc. Nice drawings and great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very graphic story, i just love the drawings that go along with this.
    A word of advice, don´t do picking human bones as souvenir, it is my firm belief that some folks in the spirit world ang on to the remains of their bodies for a long time.
    If one cannot give a proper burial to these folks, following the procedures and the religion customs of the area it´s better to say a prayer and follow our own path.
    Aaaah Tibet, how i wish i could go there in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Pablo and Diogo, I think you are right about
    the bones. It was like- fate brought me to the bones, and tried to convince me to bring a piece of it with me. How weird! I do often wonder about the causes, but it is beyond me. I am still digesting my trip, after a year. Tibet is a place that can be both extremely overwhelming and relaxing. I am actually inquiring a opportunity to teach in a local university in Lhasa, but only if the political stuff is fully settled.

    ReplyDelete