Contact & Handouts

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Self Portrait In Traditional Chinese Mandarin Gown

I apologize for the color resolution, the actual painting has a lot more vibrancy. I don't think RGB or CMYK can quit handle the level of intense saturation of this traditional Mandarin gown... Speaking of this dress, and the reason I am doing this portrait, is because its characteristic representation. Red and purple are both royal colors, in the past only royal and riches wore it. Once in these dresses, your identity was replaced by your domestic duty. Today, a Chinese woman generally wears red on her wedding day. Chinese women in the past had basically no social status or stability, much like the western women before the 50's and the 60's, when they began to realize that women can work equally well as men, given the opportunity. They also realized domestic chores didn't have to be a woman's born destiny. Today, more and more Chinese women are standing up for themselves, they work as much as the men do, and share domestic responsibilities(better, if not). Still, in a society built on male chauvinism for thousands of years, old habit stays. Chinese women, among other Asian women are often taken as tame or submissive, because of our gentle natures and appearance. Some Chinese man still have the expectation that a Chinese woman should be able to cook, clean, reproduce,raise children,be obedient, all of it except an ambitious career of their own. In US, many women who have one or more children, often have to work full time. In my opinion, they may not be as strong as men physically (Unless you are a athlete, thumb up!) , but they do have to have stronger mind and determination. I feel gender is like a dress, yes, I was born a girl, however it doesn't define me, nor do I have to act in accordance to the expectations. Underneath the surface, is a passionate soul that is easy to content, and it is. No matter what I am wearing, I am me.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent work! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so perfect...really suni,I have no words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, gracias!
    BB, as usual, thank you for the kind words. This work is important to me because it is about me. I am proud of my heritage, however it is only part of me, the rest is simple and compassionate, it's me~!

    ReplyDelete