Contact & Handouts

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Color experiment-

In this piece I am experimenting with warm, cool, light and shadow.  One of my heroes is Edward Hopper,  I really admire his ability to make decisions in a composition where everything is intertwined.
Hopper cared about the contrast, the direction of light and the simple warm and cool of the plains.  To make a successful painting, composition is vital.  As painters we need not be afraid to make changes, if there is something that doesn't look right, it needs to be fixed, or it will remain "incorrect" and mislead everything.

 "Room Green"
30'' x 40''
Oil on canvas


2 comments:

  1. Creepy! When did you do this??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lis I started the sketch in the summer, it's made up with no reference, so I am not doing a collage. Did you see it in progress? It's wacky! :)
    You get a star for making the best dumplings btw!

    ReplyDelete