Contact & Handouts

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thesis Phase 2, in the studio.

Two studies from the final thesis project.  The paintings will be life size and hopefully completed by  May15th.   It is definitely crushing to have to complete something-anything life size with in 14 weeks, but I'm doing it.  Like many things in life, I'm doing it! /:)
School has been great, since the semester started, everyone is onto something.  I'm also applying for jobs, part time or full time teaching jobs.  My husband and I are working in the same studio, where we share the same model and space.  Pretty soon we would do that more often as I will not longer have my studio at school (due to construction, no summer studios will be offered).  This would be my 8th year in art schools, i think it's time to really graduate and use the Master's to find some jobs.  It's tough out there but there are always jobs.

Thesis Project "The Dancer"
Oil on paper
When I have a little more time I'd like to write more about my own method and theory of figure painting (or painting, in general).  Here's a summery of my process:
1. Have an idea, usually something that makes me feel, happy, anger, confusion,sad,agonizing, sympathy or regret.  Anything to get your brain juice going.
2. Compose small thumbnails on sketch book.  This is actually vital, before anything is actualized, thumbnails can gave you some very good visual comparison in terms of compositions.
3.  Hire models, you can choose between life or photography.  I always prefer life over photography, but sometimes (like this time) it is impossible to engage the models for such composition.

...to be continued

The 2nd study in progress

No comments:

Post a Comment