Contact & Handouts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Steven Assael

Assael's work
for introductory purpose only

Painter Steven Assael is quite a legend among the modern art world and students, particularly to those who love figurative paintings . As result of the overwhelming admiration, we have a HUGE class. What I love about Assael's works is that his free use of color, the relationships between bright, dark, cool and warm. In addition, I find his subject matter of figures and movements intriguing. Also, Assael's teaching method is more doing than talking. He works on students works as if he is giving a lecture to individuals on use of color and quality of drawing. This, I find visually comprehensive and practical in leaning about different ways of painting.

Below is a painting started by me, after Assael's demonstration. I tent to use a lot of white to tint, which washes out the value intensity and just look so dull overall. Instead using white, Assael used lemon yellow to bring up the brightness. He suggested me to observe color relationships carefully and not use too much white. It's a bad habbit to be elying on white whenever there's a need to tint, as there are other alternatives.

2 comments:

  1. I found your observation of Assael correct, I have also taken his class. Assael changed my view on painting the figure, and utilization of the background. Have fun, I think you are on a great track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note about the images you posted for Assael... those aren't all his. There's a Collins' in the bottom row, as well as (I think) a couple by Chris Pugliese and maybe even Michael Klein (the foliage far right). Anyway, just FYI.

    ReplyDelete