Contact & Handouts

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Starbucks sketching

My biggest joy now is going to Starbucks, having a cup of coffee and sketching people there. Altough most of people are ok with us sketching them, a few of them can still get kind of annoyed.






Two jobs that I have been working on are both progressing slowly. One, a chilrden's book of poems has been taking forever; my client kept changing her ideas about my illustrated covers and finding out more errors in her own typing; The other a mural painting is going rough as well. I've found that it is very diffcult for a new graduate to learn quickly on how to deal with the client like a professional. My client said to me after reading it " this looks like it's about everything protecting you.." I went "no, it is protecting both of us." And don't mention that she almost canceled the job and wasn't going to even pay for the design. I guess to her and most other clients, art is something beautiful and valuble; the artist is someone cheap. Far as I know, many freelancing artist make less of a hourly rate than a plumer, not that I have anything against plumers, I am just amazed how people are willing to paying for a plumer's service rather than an artist's. I think all art school should all open up a business course, that would make the art major more practical.

8 comments:

  1. Nice sketch ! I like to do that too. Going to starbuck or another coffee place if it's possible and drawing. But contrary to you, I don't sketch people or rarely. I'm not confortable to ask them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great. You got down a lot of detail and sense of light in what had to have been some very quick drawing. I have to work up the nerve to do this. I even have trouble shooting people--but then again, some people may not like it when you shoot them!! hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a lifting of teh curtain when you go from student to pro. I went through many similar experiences, everyone does. the smart ones learn from them.

    You have to be brave and fearless to draw folks, but it's not so bad. My trick is to look at them, if they become selfconcious I smile , then look in another direction for a bit..essentially trick them, then go back and stare like a stalker when they are not watching ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you totally (about how it's tough to get paid to do what you love). BTW, same goes for professional writers, too. You know I found an article I *published* blatently lifted and uncredited to me?? (That was last night--what weird timing.) Guess what I have to spend the next couple of weeks worrying about now... And I have to get syllabi ready!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff man! I like the shading you did. I don't care if they get creeped out by me, I just keep drawing making obscene gestures and if they get up and leave that's their problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sketches as usual echo!

    Sorry that your freelancing isn't going so well right now. One suggestion I have is to dress professionally when you meet a client. Put on a nice suit, or an artsy outfit. People will take you much more seriously when you have on businesslike clothes.

    Good luck girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys, I wish there's a chance that we could all get together and do a good sketch party:D Well, we kinda do, on the internet..^^

    ReplyDelete