Contact & Handouts

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Unseen Dance by A Fellow Artist Friend



This graphic/video work is by Kai QinZhang, a fellow artist and a friend who is completing her MFA this semester MFA at PAFA. When Kai Qin first described what she wanted to accomplish, I was really puzzled. In the beginning, I was uncomfortable with the fact that, I could not use my eyes as they were blind foled. I felt I was lost without the help of my eyes, to see where and what is coming from the other side--that is exactly what Kai Qin intended to do.
The unique subject of this collaboration of video fragments depicting hands touching and searching, gives us a sense of vulnerability and ambiguity, without the help of the eye, we can feel a great deal of weakness.
Indeed we use our eyes to receive and judge information everyday, but do we really see or do we only see what is being presented. Sometimes we can be lying next to a person for 50 years and not knowing who that person really is. A blind person sees more than a person with healthy eyes--I remember always reading that off of somewhere. How often do you touch a person's hand, and what do you intent to do when you touch that hand?
When I watched this video with my boyfriend, as we collaborated on the closing scene, we witnessed the searching, the touching, the connecting and the separating, all of which described the virtue of life. As Kai Qin quoted in her bio-- "you can't predict what will happen next with life, but you can always count on the virtue of life".

2 comments:

  1. Congrats you guys !
    Suni, this is very,very expressive.I love this sort of little very low budget (sometimes almost non existant)budget.
    You have created something quite rare and unique.
    I don´t know, this one made me feel a little sad (but in a good way)almost like Fado music does.
    I hope you have a great weekend.
    Keep being creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bonequinhoda bic! I also felt "sad" watching it :( I love the quiet feeling, the peaceful touching an searching about the whole thing. One could say it resembles the serene yet passionate quality that Fado music has, still, both are created by human to express our endless desire to love and be loved.

    ReplyDelete