Contact & Handouts

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Master Copies

Oil on canvas

This was a school project turned out to be a lot of fun. I had always considered doing master copies a "dreadful" chore, but it truly is a very effective way to learn from the masters in the most direct way. The three artist are-Odd Nerdrum, Titan and Rembrandt. For each painting I picked one section mostly interesting to me, and painted them on individual panels. Through this exercise, I realized that there is no short cut, in constructing flesh and bones.,though I'm sure Titan could render a face in a very short amount of time, he still had to start from the basic form-flesh and bones. With that in mind, I will explore more master copies in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I personally really like the middle portrait by Titan, very nice!

    ReplyDelete